Bam! What to do after a car accident - Part 2

            This blog post is the second in a series of what to do if you have been in a motor vehicle accident. 

            In the last post we talked about obtaining the proper medical treatment and obtaining witness information if you have been in a car wreck in West Virginia.  This post focuses on what to do in the days after an accident.  First, if you did not take our advice in the first post and you are hurting, seek medical advice immediately.  It is not uncommon to think you are fine on the day of a car wreck and then wake up the next day and barely be able to move your neck or back.  Unless your family doctor can get you in quickly, the best advice is to go to the emergency room.  We do not recommend going to a "doc-in-the box" such as those often found in strip malls because they will probably not have the imaging equipment such as CT scans or MRI's to properly diagnose injuries that frequently occur in motor vehicle accidents.  It is important to remember that if the emergency room doctor advises you to seek follow-up treatment then you need to heed this advice.  If you do not, the insurance company will certainly use it against you.

            In the days after your car accident you will also be receiving calls from insurance companies.  There are two entities that will likely call, your own insurance company and the person that caused the accident's insurance company.  You have a duty to comply with your own insurance company.  If they ask you for a recorded statement you must give it to them.  You do not have a duty to comply with the person's insurance company that caused the accident.  No matter how nice they may be, their job is to pay you as little as possible for your claim.  Do not discuss how the accident occurred with them and do not give them a recorded statement.  If they insist, tell them to look at the accident report prepared by the police.